Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nutrition!

Nutrition is such a broad topic that it is impossible to
cover everything, but I will present to you what I feel is the best
way for most people to eat.
I can say without hesitation, if you are not eating correctly,
you WILL NOT see the results you are looking for; it is that
important.
I want to challenge you to see food not only for the pleasure it
brings to the flesh, but rather the only fuel source our human
machine can use for energy.  Most Americans aren't running on the
right fuel source and consequently they are fat, tired, sick, stressed,
and go through daily mood swings.  I don't own a pet, but I am always
amazed how most people feed their pets FAR better than they feed
themselves or their children.
Quote:  "I don't eat for  pleasure, I use it as fuel; I have
          learned to separate food from pleasure."
Obesity would nearly be extinct if we started living this way most
of the time. (I am not saying we shouldn't eat food that tastes good).
Eating healthy must become a lifestyle you live, not just another DIEt. 
Did you notice the first three letters are DIE? You must get rid of old habits and replace them with new ones.Here is what I believe research has shown to be some of the best advice regarding what to eat:
1.  Eat 5-7 small meals a day
2.  Include a lean protein with each meal
3.  Eat 7 or more servings of vegetables a day
4.  Eat 3-5 servings of fruit a day
5.  Drink plenty of water (3 quarts to start with)
6.  Limit processed sugars
7.  Avoid fake sugars as much as possible (all diet sodas)
8.  Limit all processed carbs
9.  Get plenty of fiber through veggies, whole grains, and legumes
    The average women needs 25 grams and the average man 30 grams
10. Eat fish 2-4 times a week and supplement with fish oils
11. Limit saturated fat
12. Cook with olive oils and other poly and monounsaturated fats
13. Eat more of your calories earlier on in the day, especially carbs
14. Cut portion sizes down

There are many more tips that I could have included, but this should
give you a great start. In order to be successful, you must have a plan
and stick to it.  Planning ahead and knowing what your schedule is
for the day will help you in packing snacks to get you through the
times when you can't take time to eat.