Sunday, June 12, 2011

What is Burst Training?

"Burst Training;" this is similar to that of the more familiar "Interval Training."
Based on research from the past 5 years, I predict that
steady-state cardio will become far less popular as a means for
getting lean.  The new approach is called burst training and is a
key foundational component to the INSANITY Boot Camp. 
Burst training requires a person to give a full out effort for a
short duration, followed by a period of decreased activity or rest.
The exact protocols are different, depending on how in shape a
person is, but a 3:1 rest to work ratio is pretty typical.  A very
fit individual may be able to perform a 1:1 ratio, which means they
would rest for the same amount of time as they exercised.
Bursts are very difficult and taxing on the body, which is why most
people don't do them, and is why they are so great!  I heard a
quote yesterday that has a lot of truth to it: 
"Look at what everyone else is doing to lose fat and get in shape
and do the exact opposite."
When I look around the gym I first see all the elliptical's filled,
then the treadmills, followed by the recumbent bikes.  I very
rarely see anyone really working hard on the elliptical, which is
why it rates as my most overrated piece of cardiovascular
equipment.  Then you see many people either walking or jogging at a
pace that is easy and comfortable for them.  I like treadmills, but one
should run real fast or up steep hills, both of which will fatigue
a person quickly.  My favorite, though, is the stair climbers.
Nothing hits the butt and legs better and gets the heart rate up
faster than climbing stairs.  I also like it because it is simple
to use and low impact, which makes it nice for hips and joints.
I challenge you to up the intensity in your next cardio session.
  INSANITY Boot Camp is base all of the cardiovascular training upon this
principal to achieve rapid fat loss and rapid cardiovascular
improvements.  I enjoy it when I have long distance runners come to
me when they have hit a plateau on their speed.  Once they
incorporate these burst techniques, their times improve!